The demand for an MBA course has been increasing at a breakneck pace since the last decade due to the competition in jobs. On an average, 7-8 Lakhs candidates apply for various MBA entrance exams (combined) to study full-time courses in India every year. Apart from this, there are candidates who also apply to Distance MBA or Part-Time courses as well. So, you can understand the craze for this course.
Candidates opting for the MBA courses often want to upgrade their existing managerial skills with various organizations. Candidates have many options for selecting the perfect MBA course, such as – a full-time MBA, part-time MBA, and Distance MBA. Candidates can choose the course as per their needs and availability.
A full-time MBA offers the best learning experience and provides the best value to students in terms of skills development and placements. While there may be many candidates who wish for a full-time MBA, they cannot pursue the same due to financial or geographical or time constraints. In that case, they can go for a part-time or Distance MBA course.Mentioned here is a detailed analysis which can help students decide wisely.
Distance MBA or Part-time MBA: Which One to Choose?
Let us compare both part-time and Distance MBA for a better understanding of the candidates as to which one to opt for:
|Comparison Parameter||Part-Time MBA||Distance Learning MBA|
|Mode of study||Offline mode||Online Mode|
|Who can undertake the course?||●
Candidates with some year of experience● Candidates who can attend evening or weekend classes
Candidates who cannot attend the classroom program but can study in online mode● Candidates without any experience can also undertake the course
|Duration of study||2 to 3 years||1 to 3 years|
|Fees Structure||INR 3 lakhs to 10 lakhs||INR 20,000 to 80,000|
|Interaction||Direct interaction between the student and the teacher||There is no direct interaction between the student and the teacher|
|Exposure||Since the candidate gets the chance to attend evening classes or weekend classes, they get more exposure and skill enhancement||Since the candidate is dependent on self-study they get fewer chances to exposure as compared to part-time MBA course|
Now, let us understand both the courses in detail below.
A Distance MBA offers an online learning mode and is suitable for the candidates who may not attend the classroom or full-time programme due to certain location constraints or cannot afford the high paid offline courses.
This type of Distance learning will not involve any direct interaction between the faculty and the students as the lectures will be recorded and uploaded in the online portal. The candidates will have to watch the lessons at their convenience.
The faculty will share the online mode notes through specific portals that the students can access or via email. The good thing about Distance MBA programs is that they are flexible compared to Full-time courses. Even working professionals can pursue them.
Distance MBA Eligibility
Candidates willing to go for the Distance learning programme will have to fulfil the following eligibility criteria:
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university.
- At the time of admission, candidates will have to provide all the semester mark sheets in original to the college.
- Candidates willing to undertake the Distance MBA from IGNOU shall have to clear the OPENMAT exam conducted by the University.
Distance MBA – Advantages
There are certain benefits which the candidate must go through before opting for any type of course:
- Distance learning courses are approved by the Distance Education Bureau of UGC.
- Distance learning courses offer flexibility and reduce the time constraints faced by candidates.
- The cost of the Distance MBA is very less than that of a full – time MBA.
- Many of the top institutes across the country offer high quality Distance Learning MBA courses to complete from their home also.
- In times of COVID-19, if Maharashtra is badly affected by the pandemic, students from West Bengal can pursue a quality Distance MBA course from Symbiosis International University. In this case, students will not be required to shift there to complete the course.
- Such a degree helps the candidates to secure promotions within their organization.
- Candidates can gain some of the managerial skills which will help in building a strong foundation in their career growth.
- Working professionals get the ease of completing a degree alongside their work.
- After a Distance MBA, one can expect salaries between INR 4-8 LPA.
Distance Learning MBA Colleges
- Symbiosis centre for Distance learning
- Amity University
- Welingkar Institute of Management
- Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu
The part-time MBA course is tailor-made for working professionals. This course helps the candidates to add value to their existing roles in their respective companies. The courses are often skill-specific to accommodate the needs of the candidates.
The duration of such an MBA is mostly 2 to 3 years. The classes are conducted mostly evenings or weekends. The part-time course will be in offline mode i. e. classes are to be attended whenever scheduled. The minimum attendance criteria are also to be taken care of to avoid any problems during the degree program.
Part-Time MBA Eligibility
There are a few eligibility criteria as specified which are needed to be fulfilled to be eligible for the course:
- Must have completed a bachelor’s degree from a recognized University.
- Must be a working professional / have experience of a minimum 2-3 years as specified by the University/college.
Advantages Of Part-Time MBA Course
There are some benefits/advantages which are to be looked for before opting for the type of course:
- The prime benefit of the part-time MBA as compared to Distance MBA is, working professionals can continue to work and attend the classes on weekends/evenings after the job hours (as scheduled). This ensures face-to-face interaction with the faculty members.
- Candidates will also get a chance to upgrade their skills/knowledge in every aspect.
- The course fee is less compared to the full–time course.
- The candidates who opt for the part – time course will not miss out on any topic as the syllabus is completely similar to that of the full – time MBA.
- One can enhance their skills which they might require for their promotions or better opportunities.
- Students can also notice a rapid growth in their career after the completion of the course.
- One can see a hike from INR 6 – 14 LPA on an average in their salaries after completion of the course.
Part – Time MBA Colleges
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
- K J Somaiya Institute of Management and Research, Mumbai
- Xavier school of management, Jamshedpur
- KIIT School of Management, Bhubaneshwar
So, that is all! Now, it is up to you which course to choose as per your needs. To be honest Part-time MBA is mainly for experienced professionals who are already working at good positions with reputed companies.
Distance MBA is for freshers as well who wants flexibility in the curriculum and has geographical, financial and time constraints. Both the courses are beneficial but it all boils down to what a student wants!
Most Active Authors
Theinspirespy is an online platform that publishes news and insights on fashion, beauty, lifestyle, technology and more. A platform for sharing favorite things and knowledge with the world. It’s all about bringing a Spy in you and choosing the right things”