Riding on a strong commitment to Health Safety well being and zero tolerance to distracted driving , SaveLIFE Foundation and Vodafone India Ltd released a afirst of its kind Study on the theme of ‘SAFETY IN MOBILITY’.
There are various distractions that occur during driving. According to the study 94% of the people acknowledge using mobile phone during driving and 47% of them admit to attend calls while driving.
Mr Saji Cherian , Director , Operations, SaveLIFE Foundation said – ” This study is path breaking as it categorically confirms for the first time that the use of mobile phones while driving is rampant in India. The focus is also on solving the problem by launching the Vodafone – SaveLIFE Foundation Road Safety mobile application that will help drivers to remain distraction free while driving”.
DISTRACTED DRIVING FINDINGS
- 41% people use phones for work – related purposes while driving.
- 94% believe that using mobile phone while driving is dangerous.
- 68% support the use of enforcement cameras to apprehend drivers who use mobile phones while driving.
- 60% people do not stop at a safe location before attending calls.
- 20% people have had a near – miss or a road crash due to the use of mobile phones while driving.
FUNCTIONALITIES OF THE APP
- DISTRACTION FREE DRIVING – To help the driver remain focused on driving, this feature will automatically disable calls/SMS/Push notification when vehicle speed is above 10km/hour
- AUTOMATIC CRASH DETECTOR – Using the phone’s accelerameter, this feature tries to detect sudden drop in vehicle speed, and provides automatic voice enabled emergency response assistance.
- IN CASE OF EMERGENCY – A one touch dial for emergency services and call /SMS to save emergency contacts.
- ROAD SAFETY TIPS – Useful safety tips to different categories of road users.
- TRAFFIC OFFENCES AND FINES – Details of all traffic offences and fines for States/ Union Territories.
- HOW TO HELP AN INJURED PERSON – A handy guide for all good Samaritans on their rights and how to help injured road crash victims.
FOR DISTRACTION FREE DRIVING DOWNLOAD THE VODAFONE – SAVELIFE FOUNDATION ” ROAD SAFE” APP SMS ROAD SAFE TO 542423.
About vSaveLIFE Foundation
SaveLIFE Foundation is an independent , non profit , non governmental organization focused on improving road safety and emergency medical care across India. SLF combines innovative on -ground interventions with advocacy for stronger national level policies to establish a sustainable framework for Road Safety in India.
About Vodafone India Limited
Vodafone India is a 100% fully owned subsidiary of the Vodafone Group Plc. with operations across the country serving over 204 million customers. Commencing operations in 2007, Vodafone is today a robust, award winning business and committed for the long term. Vodafone Business Services serves the needs of enterprises and government by providing total telecommunications solutions across mobility and wireline platforms. Our mobile wallet,M- Pesa is a unique and innovative money transfer services from vodafone that fosters financial inclusion.